Establishing Church to Church Partnerships between the
Eglise Methodiste d’Haiti (EMH) and the Florida Conference
A. Role of the Florida District Coordinators
The FL District Superintendent (DS) appoints a person to serve as District Coordinator (DC). The DC, intentionally, seeks out other persons who have a strong interest in Haiti and who may provide opportunities for entry into churches. The DC obtains audience with individual churches in various situations: worship services, family night dinners, bible study groups, Mission Committees, Women and Men's groups. Calls upon the network of those who have had experience in UMVIM, work and evangelism groups, and other district outreach activities.
B. Role of the Haiti Circuit Coordinators
The Haiti Circuit Superintendent acts as the Covenant Circuit Coordinator (CC) and establishes a working relationship with the DC, facilitating communications through letters, emails, phone calls, etc. The CC is also responsible for developing profiles for each church in the circuit. See example.
It is by mutual decision of the FL DC and the Haiti CC that church to church partnerships are established.
C. Formalizing the Church to Church Covenant at the local level
The first five paragraphs in the Haiti/Florida Covenant Text are Implementation of the Partnerships:
1. Pray for one another on a regular and recurring basis;
2. Develop and nurture relationships, mutual understanding, friendships and connections among ourselves and with others having a common purpose and intent, through work, worship and shared conference attendances;
3. Share our respective cultures, gifts and graces, concerns, blessings, challenges, faith and hopes in the catholic spirit;
4. Work together in a supportive and mutual relationship based upon the principles of solidarity, acceptance, respect and unconditional love;
5. Establish and nurture relationships and connections between clergy and laity of The Methodist Church of Haiti and of the Florida Conference and encourage church-to-church and pastor-to-pastor relationships for mutual learning, support and growth.
D. Defining projects with partner churches in Haiti and Florida
● Defining a project or ministry is a mutual process between the sister churches in Haiti and in Florida. It requires time and patience. Prayer and dialogue are essential.
● No project should be unilateral. Negotiations must be covered in prayer; all participants must exercise caution, humility, patience, discernment, and especially to offer love with each other.
● The EMH through the Circuit Superintendent has a strong influence on the needs of its local churches. No project will advance without the approval of the EMH and the Circuit Superintendent.
Funding should, in every sense, be directed toward strengthening the Methodist Church in Haiti (EMH) at all levels, in accordance with the Covenant's paragraph #9, “Actively promote the sharing of resources” and substantiated by paragraph #7, “Create a method of discerning talents, spiritual gifts, and assets to be shared…” to respond to the priorities of the Methodist Church in Haiti.
Global Missions of The Florida Conference
450 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue
Lakeland, FL 33815